Monday, August 1, 2011

Lady Justice




First of all, aren't you glad she's a Lady!  Not to be stereotypical and all, but it somehow just feels…just.  

Don't you wonder who decided that?  And why?  [There's a Lord Justice, too, of course, but he's in England and/or Wales, an 'ordinary' Justice of Appeal.  We're not talking about him.] 

She actually has a name, Justitia, the Roman goddess of Justice:
  

Justitia is most often depicted with a set of scales typically suspended from her left hand,upon which she measures the strengths of a case's support and opposition. 

She is also often seen carrying a double-edged sword in her right hand, symbolizing the power of Reason and Justice, which may be wielded either for or against any party.

She wears a blindfold in order to indicate that justice is (or should be) meted out objectively, without fear or favor, regardless of identity, money, power, or weakness; blind justice and impartiality.  (Wiki)


I've been thinking of Her a lot lately, since the horrific attacks in Norway and the alleged Dominique Strauss-Kahn assault.  Since all the civil-war atrocities coming out of the Middle East.  Since all the rapes, genocides, child abductions, suicide bombings and...political bickerings?!

Is there anywhere in the world these days where She is alive and well?  Has there ever been?  Do we still believe “what goes around comes around”…that people can get away with murder but only for so long?  That even our own sins will catch up with us?  

Don't get me wrong.  I believe in Mercy--not getting what we deserve.  Knowing that if we did, we'd probably all be dead by now.  I also believe in Grace--being given 'gifts' we don't derseve.  Two good words from my preacher-home days. 

I believe transformation, though rare, is possible.  I believe people can change from bad to good.  I believe even I can change and that I can forgive and be forgiven.  I believe anyone can see the Light and learn to understand and accept Truth.  I believe.

But this post isn't about Mercy or Grace.  It's about Justice.  It's about wanting that Lady, with Her set of scales, the double-edged sword and the blindfold, to become a bit more visible.  Wanting to believe she exists in our world today, draped in Her long, flowing robes, mature but not old or out of touch...symbolizing the fair and equal administration of the law, without corruption, avarice, prejudice, or favor.
 
Even if she is rarely seen or heard these days, I'm glad the thought of her exists...and continues to  instill awe and reverence, like here at the front of City Hall in Breda, Netherlands, seen a year ago.  I can't really explain it but I'm REALLY glad she's a woman.  If we had a bit more of HER, maybe we'd be living in a better world?




No comments:

Post a Comment