Monday, August 22, 2011

Guilty Pleasures




Did you know that some of our "guilty pleasures" are actually good for our health and well-being!

I'll never forget the day I walked into a hospital a few years back and saw the poster, "Chocolate is Good for Your Heart," hanging right there on the wall.  The caveat was, of course, dark chocolate, at a minimum of 70% cocoa.  And in moderation.

Don't you love it when we have "professional permission" to indulge!

Most of you know that I moved myself, lock, stock and barrel, from America to the Netherlands in early December of 2009 to follow the love of my heart.  I had spent the entire year getting rid of everything I owned except the few treasures of my life that could be packed into 2 TruckPacks, 4'x4'x4'.  It was harrowing but invigorating.  I lost 10 pounds, reaching my 115 from high-school days.

It so happens that I had a "guilty pleasure" for many years of my adult life that stood me in good stead for my move.  I have no memory from whence it came but I got into collecting sheets of USA stamps.  By 2009, I had almost every sheet produced back to the 1930s, hundreds of them in myriad albums.  I would buy them off of eBay or at stamp auctions, one sheet at a time, usually between $3-10.  Like I said, it was a guilty pleasure. 

Little did I know I was collecting those sheets of stamps for my move to the Netherlands!  Religiously, relentlessly, I scanned every sheet, uploaded them to eBay, and sold every one, often at 10 times their face value.  They alone gave me enough money to buy our new car outright once I moved.  Someone asked me if I hated to see those stamps go.  Are you kidding me?!

Besides the stamps, I sold electronics and books and DVDs and anything I could get my hands on.  I LOVE eBay and Amazon.com.  They were my saviors, adding much-needed money for my move.  After the estate sale in November and then selling my car, it all was done.

Here I was, sitting on all that money earmarked for moving to Europe and buying the things we would need to set up a new home.  Astrid, too, was downsizing after her divorce.  We would need to consolidate what we salvaged from each of our past lives and build something new that represented us.

Now, if you're still following me, here's THE guilty pleasure I'm getting to.  Once I stopped all the packing and selling and was finally breathing again before the move, I mentioned to Astrid that I was toying around with the idea of buying a macro lens.  It had been on my "want list" for a long time.  But how could I reconcile doing that before the move, knowing every last penny would be important, especially considering the dollar-to-euro conversion.  I knew the lens would be cheaper in America, but ...still!

With adamant "professional permission" to indulge from Astrid, I just did it!  Blow all caution to the winds, right?  What she said made sense:  "Ginnie, call it your reward for what you've just been through the last 12 months!"

Funny thing is, I didn't start using the lens till this past month!  The above image is one of the first I took when I had no clue what I was doing.  It's been a steep learning curve but it sure has been fun, as any guilty pleasure should be!

So, you know I'm gonna ask you:  What is your guilty pleasure?  HA!




No comments:

Post a Comment