Monday, October 3, 2011

Heaven On Earth




When we say "it's like heaven on earth," everyone knows exactly what we mean.  Because it is!

We were at a heaven-on-earth a week ago when we had the chance to take the 15-minute ferry from Den Helder, north of the Netherlands, to Texel (pronounced TESS-el), the Dutch island nearby.  Astrid had told me about it for 4 years and I finally got to see and experience it myself.

Such a heaven is usually a place, something we see, but it can also be something we taste (like an angel peeing on our tongue, as the Dutch say), or something we feel...or something we do

Eons ago when my back-then husband was ministering to college students, he became licensed to administer the SIMA profile:  Systematic Inventory of Motivated Abilities, a proven, predictive process for identifying people's unique patterns of motivated behavior.  What I most remember is that two components have to exist to qualify as a truly motivated ability:  you enjoy it and you do it well.  If both are present, it leads to exceptional performance and superior results.

Kinda like God creating something and saying "It is good."  We are made in that image, says Holy Writ.  It's like heaven on earth.  God in us.

Technically, to do something well usually means there is significant positive feeback confirming the abilities we enjoy.  This happens at work when we're promoted.  Or when our art becomes famous and puts money in our purse. 

Look at what we do here at V&V, as well as on our own blogs.  We read each other's posts.  We look at each other's images.  And we leave positive feedback.  This builds our self-esteem as well as our virtual communities. It's a Mutual Admiration Society.  We stroke each other's backs.  We build each other up.

Is it possible, however, to really enjoy something and do it well without feedback from others?  I notice, for instance, some of the excellent photographers at my Shutterchance site who never receive comments.  How does that affect them and how long will they continue "creating?"  Will they stay motivated?

My guess is we all thrive on affirmations.  When we have them, we fly higher than a kite.  When we don't, we fall into the slough of despond.  But can we, I wonder, create heaven-on-earth in whatever we do no matter who gives a hoot?  Can we be excellent and say of ourselves and our art "It is good" even if no one sees our proverbial sunset or hears the tree falling in our woods?

In other words, can our art exist in a vacuum?  I've been pondering these things in my heart because I hate being "dependent" on the affirmations of others to determine if what I do is good.  And by whose standards?  I want to know within myself that when I really enjoy something and do it well, it is good.  Period.  No matter who sees it or likes it.  No matter what the exceptional performance and superior results.

But then, maybe even God needs a "Man!  That's good!" from time to time?  And if so, why not we who are made in God's image!  It does seem to work wonders for the motivation factor.




No comments:

Post a Comment